We’ve blogged on this before, but as the year ends we want to remind you about the new law coming in 2020. To recap: if your HVAC system requires the refrigerant “R22”, you will most definitely run into some trouble with maintenance…
Your system may be maintained for a short period of time; however, in order to repair or maintain systems that requires R22, the only options for technicians will be to use reclaimed and previously produced R22 refrigerant. Beginning January 1, 2020, the refrigerant R22 will become illegal to manufacture and systems that use it will eventually become obsolete.
It is not illegal for you to own a system that requires R22 as a refrigerant. It is only illegal to produce more of it; therefore, when your system fails you are in a tough spot. You may be able to convert it to a different type of refrigerant; however, this is a difficult and costly project and there is no warranty on your conversion. If you are a trained and skilled technician, you can convert with the following items:
- REFRIGERANT RECOVERY MACHINE AND TANK: (YOU CAN GO TO PRISON FOR VENTING R22)
- VACUUM PUMP: THIS PUMPS THE MOISTURE OUT OF THE SYSTEM
- R11X FLUSH: THIS CLEANS THE R22 OIL AND RESIDUE OUT OF THE SYSTEM
- OXYGEN/ACETYLINE AND BRAZING RODS (15% SILVER)
- R410A REFRIGERANT: (MUST BE EPA CERTIFIED TO PURCHASE)
- REFRIGERANT SCALE: TO KNOW HOW MUCH YOU HAVE PUT IN THE SYSTEM
- BI-DIRECTIONAL FILTER DRYER
That is quite a process… what else can you do? First and foremost, do not purchase a system that requires R22 refrigerant, no matter how good of a deal! The most cost-efficient solution is to prepare to purchase a new system and avoid this hazardous process.
At True Blue Air Service, you can finance a system and not have to worry about the huge expense up front. Call your friendly True Blue Air Service technician and schedule your free estimate for a new system. We are always happy to help.